Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mother

I was thinking about you ladies and my Mimi and what you all have meant to me so I dedicate this writing to you all.  Thanks


MOTHER
 MY FORTRESS MY FRIEND

Up the winding road, through the rugged terrain, fed and protected, through hunger and pain, we traveled together. I was nourished through her, fed inside of her. Though never experiencing an outside world, I grew from a seed planted within her. I lived and survived, I became a being, nestled deep within her womb, I became me. Like the road that leads to the castle set upon high, we traveled the road that led to life, my mother and I.

She, being my mother lay down so I could cross the bridge that connected me to the castle, the place I would call home, she lay there, my bridge over troubled waters below, my bridge so strong, so unfailing, so sure. I was unafraid to travel across, to walk upon, to stand on it just to look out into the distance and ponder, all of this I did upon this bridge I call mama.

The water below had a since of disturbance, filled with uncertainty and distress. Sometimes the moat would be full of water, debris, monsters, and darkness. Other times the moat would be dry yet it never wavered as a barrier between the enemy and my savior; my mother, my fortress, my friend. Mother, unafraid of what lies below; if I fell from the safety of the shore into the water, she would be the first to dive into the murky, dark, stagnated water, facing and destroying the demons and strongholds that were assigned to kill me, those things that lived beneath, mother, so daring and so brave would guide and carry me to safety.

Mother is my gate of security. Though the enemy attacks and sounds the alarm, mother takes me under her wings of protection where I will wait there until she tells me to come out; “it’s ok she says, there’s no more threat of harm.” I wait once again nestled deep within her, feeding on her courage, her will, nourished by her love, my being is filled. Many times my retreat causes me to position my body like a babe in suck, lying in the protection of mother, resting and waiting to once rise again, I lay protected in mother, my fortress, my friend.

Me and mommy stand high above the winding roads, the guards, the stables, the water below, above the dust, death and destruction, victory and defeat, we look down upon beautiful flowers, high above it all, we stand in royalty, high above in the window of the tower. We look out of the window as one, we look not as mother and daughter or mother and son, we look together with one vision, on sight, one mind, one purpose, and that is to achieve all that God has purposed in His plan for me and my mother. I stand as a child in awe looking upon this woman that God has given me, her beauty her strength, her wisdom, and folly; with tears filling the portals of my eyes and with an ache of  thankfulness throbbing within my throat, and with nothing less than gratefulness filling the chambers of my heart, I grab hold of her hand and with a gentle squeeze I say aloud,
“Lord Jesus, I thank you for this woman you have given me, my mother, my fortress, my friend, I will forever love her like no other. And God when the day comes that her strength begins to wane, please let me be her bridge over troubled waters, her peace in storms, her security in times of fear, her food to feast upon; Lord please help me to be everything and more than what she has ever been to me, help me dear Father to be whatever or whoever she desires; I will be her friend, her child, her fortress, her mother.”

Thank God for Mother


I dedicate this to all mothers that have given birth to children and to those mothers that have taken on the challenge of becoming a mother to the motherless. Thank you for not giving up; for not walking out on your assignment; for hanging in when your children have hung you out to dry! All I can say is “Thank You.”

In Jesus Name

Aretha O. Scott
May 9, 2011

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day, my friend! Your writing is lovely, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete